Manuka Honey is amazing!
If you're wondering what the difference is between raw and manuka honey, here's what you need to know:
- Raw honey has antibacterial and antifungal properties with tons of antioxidants, enzymes, minerals, as well as phytonutrients for the skin.
- It's a natural humectant, locking in moisture, keeping your skin super soft.
- FUN FACT: The ancient Greeks considered it "nectar from the gods" because of its health benefits.
- Manuka honey, from New Zealand, is one of nature's richest antimicrobial sources, because it has an extra-concentrated dose of methylglyoxal (MG) - (it's a compound found in most types of honey, but only in small quantities).
- It has active antibacterial and healing properties - it's the only honey that's been approved for medical use, found in lots of products (cough drops, soaps, bandages, etc), and is used by dermatologists to treat skin conditions.
- In other words, it's raw honey "on steroids."
There are two scales by which Manuka honey is rated - both are used to indicate the antibacterial strength:
- UMF rating - is more widely used and is the industry standard - it stands for "Unique Manuka Factor." It's registered by The Active Manuka Honey Association (AMHA),
- MGO rating - is only used and trademarked by Manuka Health New Zealand Ltd.
To alleviate any confusion when buying Manuka honey, here's an easy conversion table:
UMF® 25+ = MGO™ 550+
UMF® 20+ = MGO™ 400+
UMF® 15+ = MGO™ 250+
UMF® 10+ = MGO™ 100+
Active 5+ = MGO™ 30+
The higher the grade, the more potent. I'd stick to UMF 15+, somewhere in the middle, to treat common skin issues, cuts, burns, etc.
You can find it on Amazon - there are several quality brands at different price points.
NOTE - Manuka honey is more expensive than local, raw honey - both have amazing health benefits. Stick to these two and stay away from processed honey (found in most store-bought) -which is heated and stripped of its pollen and some of its natural disease-fighting properties.
HONEY FACE MASK:
This mask heals skin damage, gently exfoliates, soothes the skin, neutralizes free radicals, unclogs pores and helps with breakouts, blackheads/whiteheads and dullness!
For all skin types -
1) Apply 1 Tbsp raw, unprocessed, local raw or Manuka honey to clean face and neck.
2) Leave it on for 15-20 minutes.
3) Rinse off with warm water.
4) Pat face dry with clean towel.
Apply twice a week - your skin will be smooth, supple and baby soft! You can thank me later :)
- SILKY HAIR - For luscious locks, massage a small amount of honey into your scalp and hair, then rinse. SO easy.
- CUTS/BURNS - For a speedy recovery, skip the Neosporin and use honey instead! It protects wounds and helps them heal quickly.
- SLEEEEEEP - It's a great sleeping aid. If you have problems falling asleep, a tiny spoonful is all that's needed to help your body release melatonin - you'll be dreaming in no time.
- NATURAL COUGH SUPPRESSANT - Honey will boost your immune system when your sick, get rid of your cough and have you back on your feet in less time.
- ALLERGIES! - Eating honey will help alleviate seasonal allergies - give it a try. It worked for me!
If you already use local raw/manuka honey, give me details! How often do you use it? And do you love it as much as I do?